This delicious recipe from Merchant Gourmet packs in two of your five-a-day and is full of nutrient-rich ingredients.
If you feel like trying out a new cuisine or are simply looking to cook something new for dinner, it’s worth remembering that Spanish food is so much more than just paella or gazpacho. This fibre-filled aubergine roll recipeuses Spanish-style grains cooked with smoky paprika, tomato paste and red peppers.
This recipe showcases aubergines – nightshade vegetables that are packed with antioxidants – which help to protect our cells and keep them healthy. You’ve also got tomatoes, which are rich in vitamin C and a good source of vitamin K, a nutrient necessary for blood clotting and wound healing. And if that wasn’t enough, you’ve also got spices such as nutmeg and black pepper that have powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
2 medium aubergines
3 tbsp olive oil
1⁄2 tsp fine salt
1⁄2 a pouch of Merchant Gourmet Spanish-Style Grains (save the rest for another recipe)
150g coconut yoghurt
1 small garlic clove (crushed)
Black pepper (to taste)
A pinch of ground nutmeg
5g chives (finely chopped)
200g sweet, ripe cherry tomatoes (finely chopped)
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove (peeled and finely chopped)
1 tsp lemon juice
1⁄4 tsp fine salt
1. Preheat the oven to 240°C fan.
2. Slice the aubergines lengthways into thin strips and place in a bowl. Generously season both sides with 2 tbsp olive oil and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Place on a parchment lined tray and bake near the top of the oven for 12 mins, until golden-brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Turn the oven down to 200°C.
4. Mix the Spanish-Style Grains with the coconut yogurt, 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, plenty of black pepper, nutmeg and 1⁄4 tsp salt.
5. Lay 2 aubergine slices next to each other so that they overlap slightly. Top with a generous spoonful of the grains mixture, then roll up tightly and place in a baking dish, seam side down. Continue with the rest of the slices to make 6 rolls. Transfer to the oven for 8 mins or until heated through.
6. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the salsa.
7. Place the rolls on a plate, then spoon over some of the salsa. Top with fresh chives.
Recipe and image courtesy of Ixta Belfrage in partnership with Merchant Gourmet (for its limited-edition lunch planner).
Source: Read Full Article